We the local people have the best ideas, the strongest understanding of what matters to us, & perspective to press through into a brighter future..
The Southern part of New Zealand is known by Māori as ‘Murihiku‘.
‘The name “Murihiku”, meaning “the tail end of the land”, was applied by the Maoris to the southern part of the South Island. In more recent times it was the name given to a large tract of native land in those parts which was purchased for the Crown on 17 August 1853 by W. B. D. Mantell.The Murihiku Block consisted of all the territory lying to the south of Kemp’s purchase and the Otago Block and was estimated to contain 6,900,000 acres. Its boundaries, as specified in the deed of sale were: From Milford Haven (now Milford Sound) or Wakatipu in Kemp’s deed and Piopiotahi to the Maoris, to Kaihiku (near Waiwera)…’
(SOURCE: Encyclopaedia of New Zealand, McLintock, 1966)